Weekly retrospective #32: Stage vs Studio

Comparing theses two is like comparing Hell with Heaven.
Working in a studio is like working in a biosphere. It's a completely
closed environment with (in most cases) enough time to finalize your ideas
(I hear your voices: "we never have enough time"). You setup your camera,
setup the background, wait for the model to get their make up done,
adjust the light. And if anything doesn't work like you expect or have in mind
you can adjust it. In almost any case nothing to worry about.

Working in a theater, a concert or something else could be a nightmare.
In almost all cases you won't find a situation which is perfect. No flash!
Not enough space to move, extra poor lighting, changing light situations,
fast moving actors, a low camera angle which shortens the perspective and so on.
A lot of "unexpected" moments. If you thought I will have the final solution
for that I have to frustrate you. Some super photographers would say
"It really depends on what you want to do", but that doesnt't help you in any way.

I just wanted to tell you about my experience I had last weekend at the
Rational Theater in Munich. I've got an invitation form Melody D'Amour to
make some images during the show Salon Privé, a Burlesque show
(You remember: I did some images of Melody at last years Burlesque workshop).
Very small theater with all the conditions you read on top of this article.
Anyway, it was a perfect performance by all actors and I think I was able to shoot some nice images. To be honest, there have been a hole bunch of images that didn't made it to my hard drive).
All images shot with a Nikon D800 and a 24-120 mm zoom. I know, there is a
Nikon 24-70 mm 2.8 zoom, but it has not image stabilisation and there was no chance
to place a tripod in the theater or as said use a flash during the perfomance.

So most of the images I will show are good for web presentation and magazine prints, but
only a few have enough sharpness for a poster.

At the moment I haven't got the permission for all good shots, so you have to wait for another "Weekly retrospective", so only three for today, more will come shortly.

A special thanks to Melody D'Amour, she made the whole thing possible. And thanks
to Stormy Heather, Bettie Berlin, Nick Naughty, The Big Blue Bunny and all others who
let me take images.

As always: Enjoy!




Kommentare

Beliebte Posts